1. The name O’ahu means The Gathering Place
2. 70% of the Hawaii’s population lives there (1 million)
3. 2016 was the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor
4. Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona Memorial are best visited as part of a tour to avoid waiting in line for standby tickets.
5. If you are headed to Waikiki Beach, be sure to check out Duke’s Restaurant.
6. Diamond Head’s Hawaiian name is Leahi meaning the “Brow of the tuna”
7. If you are fearless head to Hale’iwa, town on the North Shore. You’ll find Big Wave Surfing close to Waimea Bay and Banzai Pipeline with 40 – 50 foot waves in the winter.
8. You must try Shave Ice from every vendor you see. How else will your pick your favorite?
9. Looking for an off-the-beaten dining option? Head to Giovanni’s Shrimp Trucks near the Polynesian Cultural Center. Plate of shrimp with sticky rice, mac and cheese and corn is $15 – a mega deal in Hawaii.
10. If you love history, be sure to visit Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, and explore the original China Town.